Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control
Land Development Regulations & Ordinances
The following sections of the City of Callaway Land Development Regulations and Ordinances provide the city with sufficient regulatory authority to require erosion and sediment controls from construction activity:
- Section 15.725.2 - Objectives: requires that the landowner reduces wind- or water-caused erosion loss, of valuable soils, and subsequent sedimentation of surface water bodies and damage to adjacent properties.
- Section 15.725.4 - Prohibitions: requires developers to obtain required permits prior to the commencement of construction and therefore ensures compliance with applicable Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP), Northwest Florida Water Management District (NWFWMD), or local sediment and erosion control requirements.
- Section 15.725.4 - Performance Standards: requires the developer to prevent erosion by wind or water through the construction process.
- Section 15.745.1- Development Design Standard, General: states in one element of this article that the land proposed for subdivision shall be suitable for development and shall not be subject to flooding, poor drainage, erosion, or other conditions detrimental to the health, safety, and general welfare of the public.
- Section 15.745.7- Approvals: states that all proposed drainage systems are subject to review and approval by other regulatory agencies, including the Florida Department of Environmental Regulations (FDER), the NWFWMD, and the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT). Obtaining these approvals shall be the responsibility of the design engineer.
- Section 15.605.2, (3), c - Subdivision Construction Plan Review, Required Supporting Technical Information: requires a developer to submit an erosion control plan which shall include details of soil preparation, erosion control, and vegetation or soil stabilization measures to be taken during construction.
- Ordinance No. 508, Section 1: prohibits depositing on or scattering over the premises any construction or demolition debris. Any person who violates this rule will be guilty of an offense punishable as provided in Section 1-12 of the Code of Ordinances or the City of Callaway Citation Ordinance
The city inspects construction activities that disturb an area of land an acre or greater. The program includes standard operating procedures for the enforcement of existing ordinances that require erosion and sediment and waste control practices.
View the Inspection Form (PDF).